Thou Shall NOT ASSUME

Last night, I was reminded of this teaching which, as we jokingly say in Lingkod, is the 11th commandment: Thou shall not assume.

In operational terms, it means that when someone texts you every single day with sweet messages, drives you home, picks you up from work, takes care of you when you're sick, sends you gifts, and buys your favorite ice cream the day after you tell him that you're craving for one, you still should not assume that he likes you until and unless he categorically declares his intention. This principle applies to both men and women, the rationale being that in community, we live in committed Christian relationships.

I've been applying this teaching almost automatically to every relationship I have with the opposite sex. It has served me in good stead, as it has helped me guard my heart and steer clear from possible complications in my dealings with men.

BUT as in all teachings, I have my fair share of unguarded moments when I myself contravene the very principles that I advocate.

Case in point: NOW.

So last night was a reality check. The commandment hasn't been amended, after all. I am still proscribed from assuming. At kahit mag-black and white man ang mundo pag inapply ko to, yun pa rin ang totoo.

The lawyer in me is coming up with a thousand ways to go around this teaching without necessarily contravening it. The Christian in me, however, is convinced that the teaching makes perfect sense, and following it is a way of honoring God and the person who may be causing all of my assumptions. And because I am a Christian first and a lawyer second, I will abide. For, when it comes to major matters, especially of the heart, I base my decisions on Godly wisdom. No exceptions, no provisos, whatsoever.

I have to say, though, that in the meantime, the girl in me is saying: "This used to be so easy."

http://cautionstudentdriver.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular Posts