God’s Pitcher


God, the potter, shapes us as clay into various vessels for His use. If God were to allow me to choose what vessel I would like to be, I would choose to be a pitcher. A
pitcher, like a vase or a glass, is designed to be filled. However, a pitcher has a spout so that whatever is in it can be poured out. What fills the pitcher is of prime concern; no one would be attracted to a pitcher filled with poison or some foul-smelling liquid. The purpose of the pitcher is to be emptied.


It has a handle on it because it needs someone to do the pouring. It is important for the pitcher to be clean on the inside before it is filled. If the pitcher is dirty, its contents are tainted and undesirable. A transparent pitcher is especially useful because it is clear, transparent—you can see what is on the inside.


As I think of being a “pitcher” to be used by God, I see the necessity of being cleansed through the blood of Christ, and being continually washed, ready for use. Then
I need to be still to allow God to fill me with His word and His Spirit, so that there is good that will overflow when God is ready to do the pouring.


God frequently uses the people around us to “grab the handle” and help the pouring process. I know that God has taught me many things that have helped me through the years, but I also know that He wants me to share these lessons with others.


The clear, transparent quality of the pitcher is a necessary ingredient for being used as God’s pitcher. Without being open about my insecurities and hesitancies, others would not know how to help and encourage me. In essence, I could allow my pitcher to be partially filled with those insecurities, and that would prevent God from totally filling it with whatever He desires. Satan is eager to add to or take over the filling process with his lies. It is my choice to determine who will fill my pitcher. I must be willing to be emptied of myself to be filled by God.



What a challenge, but what a privilege to be God’s pitcher!




May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Romans 15:13

www.dpibooks.org

Comments

Popular Posts