Kenya: A Trip to Remember

I wondered why I took certain paths in my life. Why I chose to be part of the Africa mission? What is God preparing me for? As soon as I heard about the missionary trip to Kenya I said to myself, "I need to go" (just imagine – it was a need and not just a want!). I also need another serving experience outside SFC Dubai. And when I, finally, decided to join the Team Africa mission, the fear continued to ascend. I was afraid and clueless of how and where things will lead into, but one thing I was sure of – this will change my perspective in life and the value of my service. I had no idea that God was preparing me for something bigger and greater than my own plans of becoming His servant. Undeniably, it was the paramount 9-day trip of my life - a Trip to Remember!

What I learned from that experience was that, most of the time, being a missionary means opening myself to all possibilities: of learning more about myself, of finding console out of my comfort zone, of learning how to love the culture and accepting the identity of other people, and of allowing myself to love His people. When I went to Kenya, I thought I will be the one who will be God’s messenger. But it did not happen. It was Kenyans who taught me more: taught me how to love, how to be generous and most of all, how to trust Him and myself. Kenyans have loved us (Team Africa) before we even knew who they were. Certainly, they emulate God’s love.

On our second day in Nairobi, we went to the Missionaries of Africa Formation Center where we met the only Filipino Missionary, Kuya Chito Duritan – a very cool, amusing, positive and inspiring individual. One of his strong messages that I will never forget was: “You will only understand God’s purpose in your life by looking back at your life experiences – then you will say to yourself: ‘ah kaya pala pinaramdam ni Lord sa akin iyun kasi may malaking plano sya para sa akin’”. From that moment, I got peace in my heart and was re-assured that God will take care of me and my future.

One night that I’ll never forget, nor will the Coast Team, was the CLP Orientation Night. Instead of leading the Coast Institute of Technology students into prayer, we just found ourselves being led by them. I really did not comprehend the words coming out from their mouths, but two things I am sure of: God’s presence and love for us and the Mission will be a success because God is with us.

Even more, there were Kenyans who were forcing us to stay in their place and to pray for them as they believe that we are blessings from God, which at that time I could not see and feel.

Of course, the Team Africa has our own share of hilarious moments. God put together 18 individuals who have their own uniqueness, talents, skills, treasure and strengths and who were selfless to share themselves among their brothers and sisters in Kenya. Team Africa of Middle East is God’s perfect design. Friendship and love were built, worries and tears within them were comforted, laughter and enthusiasm were more incited and stories of faith and courage were shared.

The missionary trip to Kenya went far beyond what I thought it would be. I seriously did not believe God would use me to evangelize His works and words. I was not ready. But again it amazed me when He showed that He did not care about my timing; it was all about Him and was I going to be willing.

It was a surprise for me to realize that the day has come that I am able to do a mission, though I wasn't sure how. From then on, I became more aware of God's constant loving presence in my life! All I had to do was to focus and took the effort to open my eyes, heart and soul and I began to feel that God was literally right there with me and always had been.

What I learned most on this trip was faith and obedience. Without a doubt, God uses that tiny faith in my heart and bring into being unbelievable testimonies that I shared to His people. I, personally and honestly, do not always take giant leaps of faith in demonstrating my belief in Him but it is clear to me that He wants me to take a step forward in my life (just one step) and He made sure to be there to welcome me upon my arrival. I just followed what God asked me to do – and that’s to serve Him. And indeed, He took good care of everything. Besides, I am just His instrument in this battle and of His works. Like what Bro Manu said during the orientation night in CIT when he was having sore throat: “I do God’s works, He does mine” – Bro Manu stood in front as a Speaker with a husky voice, but it was God who speaks through him. Without a doubt, we just need to obey His call and have faith.

Everyone, regardless of geographical location, is God’s likeness. We are all called to be missionaries, maybe not to foreign lands, but certainly to our neighbours. God is constantly calling me. Whenever I stop and listen, I hear His call – no matter where I am – Dubai or Kenya or in the Philippines. If I am open to Him, He leads me – it's just up to me to be prayerful and amenable – that's all!”

Thank you Father for using me and deeming worthy to do Your work.

By: Gracie Entereso
Assistant Team Leader

Comments

Popular Posts