GRACE to GRACE

By Grace Entereso
September 2011

A month ago, I celebrated my 32nd birthday. On a wonderfully and meaningfully sunny day in Dubai that I enveloped in gratitude for the life God has gifted me with. I was, am and will always be grateful for those who most helped shape me into the woman I am today — my parents: Melchor and Cindy. As I celebrate my birth, my blessings and my grace, I remind myself to celebrate my parents first and foremost, for starting it all.

My parents met when they were working in a bus line company as conductors 35 years ago. They were a simple man and woman from the province, happiest in the outdoors, hands in the dirt — and their stories always humble me. Their generation had to get on with their lives and start work when they were still quite young. They got married by civil ceremony after two years and had me after a year.

As I grow older, I learned to appreciate them more. Tatay (Tagalog for Dad) is an OFW since I was 3. I grew up not seeing much of him, a really big sacrifice for my parents who wanted to make sure I am armed with something better for my future. So I don't recall spending a lot of time with Tatay when I was younger. He is a disciplinarian and his booming voice always scared me witless. Working abroad maybe one of the reasons why I am an only child – yet a small part of God’s biggest plan for us.

When I was a kid I always begged for a brother or sister. I felt like I was missing out on something. Most of the times, I have happy and perfect moments of having all the attention I needed and even I wanted. I could also say it could be very lonely – at times, missing the fun of growing up with siblings. Being an only child can be either good or bad, depending on how the person perceives it and how your parents brought you up. I believe my parents (like other parents who have ten kids) try to provide the best opportunities for me.

Right after my graduation in college in year 2000, my Nanay decided to follow Tatay in the UAE. After 2 years, I decided to follow them. My decision of coming to the UAE was made possible when my parents’ relationship was put into test. I was presented with two options, either to enjoy my comfortable life in the Philippines and let my parents solve their own issues OR go to the Middle East and be an instrument for my family to get back together. During those moments, I realized that I couldn’t just wave a wand and expect everyone to be happy. I really needed to first understand and those reasons are really complicated. Unless I’ve experienced some of these problems myself, I may not be able to fully appreciate the impact. Apparently, I decided to follow my parents.

In the midst of family difficulties, I invited my parents to attend the Couples for Christ Christian Life Program in St. Mary’s Church (Dubai). My dad was eager, but my mom wasn’t. It was always be like a tug-of-war Friday afternoon. But God’s love and mercy were really powerful. He never abandoned us. He strengthened my faith and deepened my hope that my family will live peacefully together. He allowed me to understand that we just had to go through this process of forgiveness and healing to pave way for His beautiful plan. Through sincere prayers and with God’s grace, my parents are now CFC household leaders, who have forgiven each other and have started a new and stronger relationship with the Lord. His abounding grace touched my parents’ hearts.

Being a daughter of these two wonderful God’s creations is really a privilege. I have countless beautiful memories shared with them, a relationship strengthened by the past. Many years were gone not spending time with Tatay, but I have forever to devote my time with him. I love that when I gleefully told Tatay that people everywhere compliment me on my natural deep-brown colored hair, he replied, “Of course they do. You got all that from me: Good looks, fair skin, and intelligence.” Indeed, only a Tatay’s pure love can say. I love that we are very much alike in many ways, not only in looks but also in the choice of food, being organized, and so on, and particularly because he can be the most patient man alive, and I pray I’ve inherited that quality in the same strength with which he possesses it. He obsessively, single-mindedly tackles the things no one else wants to — and won’t rest until it’s to his satisfaction. Perhaps he is also the one from whom I inherited this need to read instruction manuals for all electronics and appliance. Sometimes it’s sweet, as when we blurt out the same thing during the course of conversation, and he turns to me, pleased, “Junior, you always read my mind.” Yes, he calls me Junior!

I grew up with Nanay (Tagalog for Mom) and I give credits to her on how she managed to help Tatay and I build a relationship despite the distance. Nanay is my best friend. She is the queen and I am her lovely princess. I love that whenever we’re seated at the same table while she is trying to hide her glass of soda away from me because I don’t allow her to drink it (due to her diabetes). I love that even though we have so much now, she has never forgotten where she comes from. Her reminiscences are filled with laughter, but also the pain of growing up poor in a hand-to-mouth household. There are people all over her province in the Philippines who love me unconditionally simply because I am her daughter. I have never had to prove or explain myself to them, simply because her blood in my veins did that for me. I love that when she gets so excited about department store containing home accessories, bags and shoes and when I bring her along for shopping, I practically have to browbeat her into allowing me to buy her new jeans and when I did, she was completely over the moon. I love that when she worries about my heavy shoulder bags as she fears it’ll hurt my back. I love her selflessness.

Of course my parents are not perfect neither myself. My parents were not perfectly enlightened beings when they had me and so naturally there are things I could have improved on. But generally speaking, the dedication, commitment, love, and care were all there - and directed mainly to making our lives as good and as happy as could be. While writing this, gratitude arises in my mind for being their daughter. Now I can hardly think of any of their faults, they seem so trivial now, I hardly recall any.

I am an extension of my father and mother. I owe my life to them because they have given me life; given me shelter, care, love and support. They have done everything in their life for their family — everything. I have faith, culture, tradition, language and a strong family behind me as my individuality. They are amazing. I thank them for teaching me about unconditional love, patience, humility and loyalty. I know that without listening to them, I wouldn't be able to grow up to be an adult like today. People would say “Your parents must be so proud to have a daughter like you. They are truly lucky.” I couldn’t help to smile, a bit embarrassed at such compliment. Now, I think about it and realize that I am more than lucky - I am blessed. God has designed my life in such a way I could serve, love and honor Him through His victory in my parents’ lives. I hope one day I’ll be blessed with the same in my marriage.

All of us are now members of the CFC community in Dubai. With the encouragement and enlightenment we got from the community, on August 3, 2011, after 33 years of being together, my parents have finally received the sacrament of matrimony. An answered prayer. Another blessing from above. Another chance to be a blessing to others too.

I know most of the times, I am terrible and unlovable daughter, and yet these two beautiful individuals still love me; I don’t understand how this is possible, but I won’t question it. It’s only a parents’ LOVE can fully comprehend. I am really thankful that they are not only my parents but they are also my irreplaceable friends. They instilled integrity in me. I thank God for them with whom I have experienced His grace and limitless providence. I am thanking my parents for allowing themselves to be instruments and channels of God’s love and grace in my life. I am a daughter of Mel and Cindy, who is proud to say that God’s endearing love holds all of us together. Truly, they are the grace to Grace.


CFC Middle East Article: http://www.cfcmiddleeast.org/?page_id=2024 



Comments

Popular Posts