What Motherhood Has Taught Me about God

On October 3, 2016, I received a beautiful gift from God. As Psalm 127:3 tells us, "children are a heritage from the Lord." It made me realize that when I was carrying my precious Bliss Giane right under my heart, she has brought me to a very close and meaningful relationship with the Almighty Father.

Giane at few weeks
It has been 5 months… 5 glorious months of giggling, drooling, breastfeeding, sleep deprivation, of countless hugs and kisses, and of kilig moments.

Giane at 5 months
It is often said that being a mother is a challenging 24x7 job. These days it is hard to find time even just to comb my hair or putting lip balm on my dry lips.  During this time, I woke up and realized I cannot really plan my life so much anymore... or at least, not for this season. (And only God knows how long this season is going to be.)


But… it is also the bestest and most fulfilling job in the world.  Being a mom brings out the best and sometimes worst in me. As they say, “while we teach our children about life, they teach us what life is all about”.


Sitting here now, as a woman and a mother, with a little bit better perspective on motherhood – I want to share with you the lessons motherhood has taught me (or tried to teach me) about God.


God is a Great Planner

Yes, He is.

In Exodus 2:9 Pharaoh's daughter said to Moses' mother, "Take this child, and nurse it for me, and I will give thee thy wages." I believe God says these same words to every mother as He gives to us the gift of a child.

Yes, Jesus loves you
Motherhood is God’s plan, revealed to me very slowly over these months I’ve spent nursing Giane. They have been beautiful moments, full of snuggles, chubby baby legs, time rocking back and forth and sweet lullabies. Motherhood gives me insight into His loving, tender nature and plan for me.

God’s beautiful and amazing plan for motherhood is the same plan that He has for everything He has created. Mothers nurture life for the glory of God.


God is Love
Love is not love unless it is given away - Mother Theresa
Love begets Love!

We always hear this: God is love. And yes, motherhood allows me to witness how profound God’s love for me is and how much love I am receiving each day through people around me – especially from Neo and Giane. God reveals Himself to me even more through motherhood!

I find so much truth in the saying that children are born out of two people’s love for one another. Neo and I sharing a love that grows and multiplies over time and we prayed for our own with which we can share and give this love to. When one is overflowing with love and goodness, I realized it could only give birth to wonderful things.
8 months
When I was expecting Giane, a lot of people told that I was going to know a love I never knew existed. Sure enough, they were right! My heart just finds a way. How much more does God, who is love, not only love us all, but also loves us each!


God is Gracious

Children are a reward to parents, the Bible says. 

I wonder if Tatay Mel and Nanay Cindy feel rewarded by simply having me around? Or if they actually call themselves blessed because of me? Haha!
This is me... do I look like Giane?
Motherhood has taught me that God is gracious and has blessed me so I can bless other people. As an only child, this makes me desire to be a beautiful reward to them. With a deeper understanding of how costly parenthood can be, I want to be able to give to them what had been promised. God has been gracious to me for using my parents to bless me with all the love in the world, protecting me from harm and giving me a comfortable life. I am blessed to be loved unconditionally by my parents, now it becomes natural for me to provide and be a God’s instrument and blessing to Giane, through the power of the Holy Spirit and having Joseph and Mary as my role models.

Btw, Giane means God is gracious – indeed, she is a gift from a gracious God!


God is Perfect Creator

Motherhood taught me how perfect God is to create women’s bodies in a very incredible and beautiful way!  Our bodies are life-giving, life-sustaining!

Does everyone realize that human being has lived inside of me?  Does everyone realize that my body produces milk that has sustained Giane?  I’m basically a miracle.  Seriously!

Motherhood and breastfeeding brought me up-close to the miracle of God’s perfection and creation.  He created women’s bodies to feed their children. I have felt united with all of the billions of mothers before me that have also witnessed how perfectly our bodies were designed. We are perfectly designed - carried a baby, delivered a baby and then nursed that baby… It’s just all so perfect!



God is Generous

On days when I seem to be stuck and taking forever in a never-ending cycle of breastfeeding, burping, playing, putting Giane to sleep, changing her nappy, then repeat all over again, I have to deliberately remember that I am giving up my comforts today for something that will all the more prove itself to be worthwhile in the future.

God is generous in providing me with a solid support group – Neo, my parents, family and friends. Mothers whom I only met online but are sharing tips and personal stories that are informative and empowering. Online apps that give me guidance, knowledge and inspiration. People, things and circumstances that affirm me that I am not alone in this journey.

Motherhood is filled with God’s affirmation.

Mothers are living examples of God’s sacrificial, unconditional love and tenderness. Thank you Lord for the gift of mothers and motherhood.

Happy Mother’s Day!


Comments

Popular Posts