I love life, it's people I can't stand!

Do you ever feel that way?

We can chuckle over that statement, but if we're honest we recognize there are people we feel that way about. It's not surprising.

People can be mean, cruel, insensitive and difficult. All people can. Even you. Even me.

Jesus gave us the commandment to love each other as He has loved us (John 15:12). Sure, that's easy for Him to say. He's God! He has the capacity to love. He even forgave those who crucified him while he was hanging in agony on the cross!

Why do we think it was easy for Jesus to love that way? Maybe it was…I don't know. Being divine, his capacity for love is infinite. When it comes to my loving others, no matter how unlovable they may be, it doesn't really matter. What does matter is that I let Jesus in and let him love through me.

Jesus told us that he and the Father (God) are one. He also told us that he wants each of us to experience that union. That must mean that Jesus' perfect love can dwell in me and be expressed outwards to all those around me. Wow!

We really shouldn't be surprised that there are people who get under our skin and some who really just seem so rotten that we are revolted at the prospect of loving them. I'm sure there are people who've thought that about me. Remember, we are all sinners.

Comments

Popular Posts