What Breastfeeding Has Taught Me about God

Two months ago, I have shared with you What Motherhood Has Taught Me about God. This month, in honour of Mother’s day, I want to share with you what my Breastfeeding Journey has been teaching me about God.

“Mothers are always, even in the worst moments, witnesses of tenderness, dedication and moral strength. To be a mother is a great treasure - Pope Francis

These words successfully carried me through everything that was thrown at me (and my little family) during our journey.

Neo and I are celebrating our 17th month wedding anniversary this month.  Over these months, we have had Giane and I have breastfed her since day 1.  So, if you do the math, that means I’ve spent almost the entirety of our marriage either pregnant or breastfeeding.



Medicine tells us “breast is best.” Unfortunately, breastfeeding challenges are reality and many momshies face different issues... especially during the first couple of months. With so many new things going on in my new world as a mom, the last thing I want to worry about is clogged ducts, back pain or low milk supply.

Even the Bible tells us about women who nursed their babies like Hannah in 1 Samuel 1:21 – 24 and Naomi in Ruth 4:16. Their stories denote that breastfeeding is a natural and God’s way of providing food to newborn. Jesus certainly wasn’t a bottle baby. For sure Mama Mary, also known as Maria de la Leche, nursed Jesus.

So, what did I learn about God through my Breastfeeding Journey?


God’s Intelligence

Breastfeeding has been the ultimate confirmation of God’s intelligence.  Breastfeeding is perhaps the most raw and natural thing I have ever done. Through motherhood, I have all seen just how perfectly our bodies were made, from the time I carried Giane in my womb or nurse her up until now.


He blessed women with breasts that are capable of producing human milk, milk that contains the right amount of nutrients and antibodies adjusting to our baby’s needs. No hands can formulate such kind of milk but only the Giver and Creator of this miraculous design.


God provides… MILK

I am a working and a pumping mommy. If you ask my life’s hashtags, I would say #powerpumpgirl and #cowlife. After my 3 months maternity leave, I asked myself, “Yes, I want to breastfeed. But…how do I breastfeed if I’m gone 8 hours a day away from Giane?! Being Giane’s food source, I am using my break time to pump. Sometimes, I am eating while pumping or most of the time, I am eating while working because my lunch break is spent making sure she has meal for the next day.

It’s hard, but once again God provides. Sometimes, I felt so inadequate for not being able to produce milk in the allotted time limit at work, for those days when my pumping time has to be moved because of meetings and deadlines. There are days when I come home not having enough boobie milk for her, I feel like a failure (OMG, I am crying while typing this).

Live. Love. Latch.
But miraculously, He provides. In spite of the clogged ducts or the busy schedule or tired body or sore nipples – He provides. Giane has enough. All because He provides!


God is the strength…of my heart, soul, body and mind!

Breastfeeding is God’s plan. As we say, He equips those He calls. He calls me to be mom, He equips me to be determined, loving and capable mommy to Giane…and wife to Neo. I am continuing to learn that having a baby changes everything.  I have to let go of the uptight paced lifestyle that comes naturally for me.  I have to accept that my to-do list and priorities are all outplayed by the needs of Giane.  I have to stop and just be with her.



Postpartum syndrome. Stress. Moans. Frustration. Discomfort. Tiredness. Hello Clogged Ducts!

When I decided to breastfeed Giane, I started facing nursing complications open-mindedly. Our journey wasn't the most comfortable thing in the world. In those first days with her it really was exhausting.  During her 1st few weeks, I was terrified she wasn't eating enough. She cried even after nursing. Struggles were real.  I was all crazy with hormones, I’ was in pain because of the operation. I was up all hours of the night, and I was recovering from just having a baby while carrying all the pressure of whether or not she is getting enough food from me.

Then one day, I spoke to Neo. I explained to him my advocacy and asked for his support. He gave his 101% support and love.  I made it! We made it! And it's cliche, but IT GETS EASIER! 


I have zero judgment for anyone who has used formula, but for me it's awesome to know I've made it. Without the support of my husband, parents, friends, and relatives I wouldn't still be at it.

For all the Mothers who directly feed, who pump and who do bottles – we are the real heroes.  Thanks for the hard work, determination and inspiration. You are a woman.  You are incredibly made.

Remember, we are doing a great job! We are nurturing a precious life. There is nothing more important that God wants us to do at this moment! Happy Mother’s day to us!


Comments

Popular Posts